Monday, May 3, 2010

Menu Plan Monday


Monday: Date Night - maybe a movie, maybe dinner at Huisache Grill?

Tuesday: French Dip au jus, Cilantro-jalapeno slaw, chips. This meal came from Cowboy Boots and Baby Booties

Wednesday: JalapeƱo-Lime Halibut on the grill with veggie skewers and rice, and margaritas. the recipe is for Grouper and it's in the current Southern Living magazine. The whole grilling section they put in there this month looks amazing! We'll probably try another one next week. The chicken and BBQ sauce was inspired from there too, but I'm using Christy Jordan's recipes.

Thursday: Grilled Chicken with white BBQ sauce, sweet potato fries, squash casserole

Friday: BLT sandwiches, chilled peach jalapeno soup (Brook Peterson's recipe!).


I didn't realized till I typed it all out that the theme of the week is jalapeƱos. It must be that I'm getting ready for Cinco de Mayo!

I also just had to show you the cake I made this weekend! I would totally recommend it. Delicious, and not that difficult, especially if you have a hubby that's happy to do the measuring.
Trisha Yearwood's Key Lime Cake

CAKE 1 3-oz package lime-flavore
d gelatin
1⅓ cups granulated sugar
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
5 large eggs, slightly beaten
1½ cups vegetable oil
¾ cup orange juice
1 Tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup Key lime juice (from about 25 small Key limes or 4 large regular limes) ½ cup confectioners' sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 9-inch-round cake pans.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix the gelatin, sugar, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir to mix well. Add the eggs, oil, orange juice, lemon juice, and vanilla. Divide the batter evenly among the 3 pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Test for doneness by lightly touching the tops of the layers or inserting a toothpick. Cool the layers in the pans for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto racks.
3. While the layers are still hot, mix the lime juice and confectioners' sugar and pour it over the layers on the racks. You can pierce the layers with a fork to allow the glaze to soak in better. Allow the layers to cool completely as you prepare the icing.
CREAM CHEESE ICING
½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature 1 (8-oz) package cream cheese, room temperature 1 (1-lb) box confectioners' sugar
1. Cream the butter and cream cheese. Beat in the confectioners' sugar until the mixture is smooth and easy to spread. Spread the icing between the layers and on the top and sides of the cake.



She says the frosting is optional and you can just leave it with the glaze, but I'm telling you it's not. The frosting is scrumptions, go ahead and put it on there.



ok so Trisha Yearwood probably has better counter tops than me and I'm sure she's neater with the icing, but otherwise they're pretty much the same, right?

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Love your menu this week!

Lillian-Juda Leonard-Beach said...

Op, I just found an addition to my cupcake mixes, check it out later this week.

Neely said...

Yummy all of it sounds pretty delish! Woohoo for coming to see you in....32 days!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oh. my. word. That cake looks divine!!! I really want to try making it. :)

Jen said...

you are so funny! your cake looks great! But how did it taste?? Looks like it's almost all eaten... that's a good sign ;-)

Marla said...

I somehow missed this post a few days ago... Oh, well. I found it now. :)

My hubby loves key lime pie. He would be thrilled if I made a key lime cake. I've been meaning to get TY's new cookbook. I think this is a sign that I've waited long enough. =)