Friday, January 22, 2010

Welcoming a new member of the family

My parents have finally listened to my requests for a brother and have adopted Charlie (new name coming soon)!
I should go ahead and clarify that Charlie is a Jack Russell Terrier mix. They already have Maggie, a yellow lab at home. She's 12 and never grew out of doing bad puppy things. I'm a little worried she'll teach this new dog all her old tricks. I don't think they had any intention of getting a new dog right now but they love our Eddie and they saw his picture in the paper and couldn't resist sending my dad to go check him out. This is just about the worst idea ever if objectivity is supposed to be a goal. There is no way in heaven or on earth my dad is going to go meet a homeless dog and not come home with him. That's how we got our last dog, Marcy. And it is a farce that Charlie is visiting my parents"for a sleepover." They have 5 days to decide whether to keep him or send him back to the shelter and I can confidently tell you that dog is going no where until he's ready for burial.
As far as the name goes, Charlie is what they gave him at the shelter but I don't think he really responds to it yet. That's the name of my ex-boyfriend though and my parents are sensitive enough not to use it. They have always had girl dogs and followed a very specific pattern of naming. We've had:
Mandy
Macy
Maggie
Marcy
In keeping with the trend they are considering naming this dog Marley, but I think that's been pigeonholed by that lovable numskull lab. We temporarily took in a boxer who was called Marley, there's also Matty and Manny. But maybe it's time to break that tradition and give this dog his own name. I can't wait to meet him this weekend!

I don't know if I really have any influence of the choice, but if you were them, what would you name that dog?

3 comments:

Alissa said...

Wow they definitely have a trend going don't they? Hmm...ma names Mason, Maple (I don't know where that came from), Max haha. Whatever you decide I'm sure it will fit the new doggy.

Jane said...

Hey cuz! Somehow, I totally missed the fact that you had a blog... I was just sorting through my archives and for whatever reason clicked on you name (which I’ve don’t before and didn’t get anywhere) and here I am at the “Little Texas Love Nest!” Yay!

Cute pup! I vote Myron. : )

Erin said...

Janice! I'm so glad to have you reading. I'm sure I didn't have a blog last time you checked. I only started right before Christmas.

Myron is adorable. I think they're leaning towards Rusty which makes me a little sad.