Monday, March 8, 2010

Menu Plan Monday and why I started cooking

Monday: The Bible Study gang is coming over here this evening. I'm serving Salem College Ice Tea, Chicken Bites, Lemon Bars, veggie dip and crudite
Tuesday: Ciabatta Cheese Steaks with Butter and Parm Squished Potatoes These were recipes Rachel Ray did on her show. My mom saw it and made the meal and called me and told em about it. She and my dad loved it, so I'm sure we will too!
Wednesday: Pulled Pork Tacos, Cilantro Rice, pineapple mango salad. Making a big batch of this stuff because I'll be taking dinner to friends with a new baby
Thursday: Ginger Lime Chicken Thighs, navy beans, corn on the cob
Friday: Shrimp cakes and cole slaw. I haven't picked out a specific recipe for the cakes yet. Do you have one that you have used? I might end up mushing a few together.


And now for the story about why I started cooking up a storm. I've always enjoyed cooking. Ever since I was a little kid I liked helping my mom in the kitchen and playing with my own set of cooking tools. As a young adult in college though I didn't have a whole lot of opportunities to do much cooking on my own. By the time Brian and I got engaged though I had cooked for him many times sucessfully, and I thought I had expressed a liking for it. It came as a surprise then when we were at his Granny's house at Christmas time and she disappeared into another room to get my gift and then came back. This was Christmas 2008 and she was giving all the granddaughters some of the cookbooks from her own collection. She was holding the book How To Bake in her hands as she says to me "Brian tells me you don't cook, but that you don't mind baking every now and then so I thought you would like this one." My eyes darted over to Brian with the most pointed glare I could muster and tried to transmit the message "you told her WHAT? And why the hell you do a fool thing like that?" He looked all perplexed so I tried to clear the slate. "Oh, no, I told her, I really like cooking. I just don't have that much time to do it maybe." Now Brian's Granny is a very career-minded, modern woman, but even still, What Granny do you know that wants her grandson married off to a woman who doesn't cook?


Here's the inscription which I think further underscores the message that she thinks I don't cook!

Since then, I've poured quite a lot of energy into cooking for many reasons. I like it, it saves us money over going out, to take care of my husband, for fun and to show hospitality to friends and family. But all of it has had a not so subtle undertone that says "yes huh, I do too cook!" And I'm dang good at it too!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

You go girl! I love to cook too. i plan to post a super easy and really good chicken recipe this week. Not sure when though!