Tuesday, March 6, 2012

No-Sew Roman Shade

This was going to be my second time to participate in the Pinning it Down link up, but due to concerns about copyright material that link-up will no longer happen. I'm going to give some thought to how I use Pinterest to be sure it is lawful and following the intent of the creative people who make and post their material. I'd love for you to follow me on Pinterest, I have a link over there in the sidebar, and I'd like to see your boards too. So what follows is just an independent post about how I followed a wonderful tutorial from a blog I likely wouldn't have found without Pinterest.

When we ordered custom blinds for the entire rest of the house, I insisted that we leave the kitchen window empty. In part, I didn't want to lose my view of the back yard, the dogs, and the endless bird company we keep out there. Also, I wanted to hang my stained glass birdhouse in the window. It's going to go back up, it just had to come down temporarily. But mostly, because I knew I wanted to make something special for that window, I just didn't know quite yet what it would be. When my friend started pinning a series of roman shades, I suspected that's what it would be, then she successfully made this roman shade. The problem is, she has sewing talent and I do not.
Luckily, there's a pin for that. Do you use the words simple, or easy when you search for things sometimes, just to increase the odds that that's what you're going to get? I do. If you search easy no-sew roman shade, this is the one you get from the blog 365 Days to Simplicity. And it's perfect! Her instructions were so easy to follow that even I was able to complete this project in just 2 naps, with about 10 minutes of my husband's help the next morning to hang the blind.
Materials:
1 yard of fabric (more if your window is bigger than mine) $7.20 on clearance
cheap plastic mini-blinds $4.97
1 roll of Heat n Bond $1.72
A new roller cutter that came with a mat that I didn't need after all $14
Tacky Glue already owned

I bought a yard each of  2 different fabrics from Quilt Haus and thought I liked one of them best until I got them both inside and saw that the other has the exact same three colors I keep buying dishes, rugs, and even clothes in. These are my colors, I'm telling you. I think I'm going to stick with them as my Fiesta ware collection grows.
It's no-sew because you use Heat n Bond to hem the edges. I knew that stuff existed, but I'd never used it. I'll be looking for more uses immediately! The roman shade part comes from a cheapo mini-blind from Walmart that you remove all of the slats except a few. My curtain needed to be 35" long, so I did 5 7-inch pleats. Even math teachers like to work with easy numbers. Here it is all put together.
 And here it is hung. It makes me so happy now!

No comments: