Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I love my CSA

How gorgeous are those veggies?! And if you think they're as beautiful as I do, you should have seen the rainbow chard we had this week. I wanted to put it in a vase in my living room, but I went ahead and cooked it up like this instead. It was scrumptious! We've been getting a box of veggies like this for the last 6 weeks and I couldn't be happier with them. They come from the family farm Scott Arbor in Seguin, not far from here. We went in the fall and helped plant garlic and had a good time, as long as Willie wasn't trying to eat rocks! I love planning my meals around what veggies we're going to have and I"m looking forward to picking this box up after work and making a big yummy salad to go with Pioneer Woman's pasta puttanesca.
A couple times the boxes have contained more than we could eat in a week and I've gotten to preserve some radishes and turnips by lacto fermenting them  so we can enjoy them a little at a time.

Are you a member of a Community Supported Agriculture group? You can find one near you by searching here. I strongly recommend it. It encourages us to eat locally and in season and sometimes stretches my creativity by forcing me to try new recipes with veggies I don't make all that often. I had no experience with Bok Choy before (that's what Joi Choi is up there) but now I've made it a few times and we really enjoy it, especially with this Salmon bulgogi recipe. Summer veggies are my favorite, I can't wait to see what's in my box then!

No comments: